This wordpress blog tutorial will tell you how to start a wordpress blog for free. Starting and setting up your own WordPress blog for free is not so difficult process. This wordpress blog tutorial is specially designed for beginners.
My main motive is to educate beginners w.r.t how to start a wordpress blog for free or with a very little investment that will not pinch you much. Many people start their blog and then shut it down without knowing the reason for their blog failure.
As a blogger it is important to get the organic traffic via search engines and ultimately getting approval for Google Adsense. If you are not getting Adsense approval for your blog you must not lose the hope and try for better Adsense alternatives.
Before we proceed ahead you must go through my previous blog post where we have discussed basic Introduction to blogging and also about the various platforms that facilitate creating a blog like WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Wix, Squarespace, Weebly, Medium, Ghost, Tumblr,
But when you talk about the blogging platform my favorite is wordpress. WordPress offers seamless feature with tons of themes and plugins. This complete tutorial is based on how to create a blog in wordpress step by step.
Let’s Start With WordPress Blog Tutorial
What You Will Learn
- 1 1. SELECTION OF BLOGGING PLATFORM
- 2 2. TYPE OF BLOG YOU WANT TO CREATE
- 3 3. SELECTION OF DOMAIN NAME
- 4 4. SELECTION OF SEO WEB HOSTING
- 5 5. INSTALLING WORDPRESS FOR YOUR BLOG
- 6 6. SELECTION OF WORDPRESS THEME
- 7 7. WORDPRESS PLUGINS
- 8 8. WRITING YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
- 9 9. WORDPRESS SECURITY
- 10 10. WORDPRESS SEO: BEGINNER TO INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
- 11 Conclusion
1. SELECTION OF BLOGGING PLATFORM
The major factors on which the selection of blogging platform depends are:-
- Type of blog you want to create
- Selecting domain names for the blog
- Supported web hosting providers for the platform and cost
- Basic plugins and themes required for the blog
- Support availability for the platform
Above mentioned are the basic requirement for creating your own wordpress blog else one will land up paying more money for web hosting, WordPress Plugins, and WordPress Themes.
Few of the hosting platforms mentioned above are chargeable and selection of blogging platform becomes an important key structure for creating a blog.
We will be discussing all the above factors in details for better selection of the blogging platform. Currently, we will be restricting our tutorial till creating the WordPress Blog.
2. TYPE OF BLOG YOU WANT TO CREATE
If you are reading this article then you must have already made up your mind as to what sort of blog you want to create. I will be covering initially about WordPress platform for developing the blog and in future, we will be discussing other platforms too.
You should be actually knowing what type of website you want to create. Whether it is tutorials website like:
- e-commerce website
- Product comparison website
- Deals & Coupons website (smartcoupons.in)
- Video website like YouTube.
Most of the blogging platform supports all these types of websites with additional installation of some external plugins and themes. After selection of the type of website you want to create then comes the selection of domain name.
3. SELECTION OF DOMAIN NAME
The Foremost important thing before starting a WordPress blog is a selection of domain name. The domain is a most important thing as it reveals the content of your blog and how it will be useful to the user visiting the website. 10 things to be kept in mind while selecting a domain name for your website.
4. SELECTION OF SEO WEB HOSTING
When an appropriate domain name is selected as per your blog theme the most important thing is to select the best suitable web hosting service provider. There are many free wordpress hosting providers, but you should avoid them.
Rather going for a free wordpress hosting provider you must select SEO web hosting providers.
Frankly speaking, there are many SEO web hosting service providers in the market offering unlimited hosting at a very cheap price, but not all of them will suit your wordpress blog.
WordPress blog requires the installation of a number of plugins and themes, Selecting a service provider without knowledge will make your blog dead slow and you will curse the hosting provider.
- selection of best hosting provider for your wordpress website.
- Check best free hosting providers for WordPress
There are many hosting providers which dedicatedly provides the package to host only WordPress website. Remember everyone wants to get more and more traffic to their websites.
Please do not select a cheap hosting for initially setting up your blog and then migrating to the better hosting provider. Instead, you should buy a good SEO optimized web hosting for your blog.
I am offering the best web hosting deal to our readers at a cheap price. You must give it a try!
Most of the people will recommend you to buy the domain name and hosting from the same service provider. Well, it is not necessary always until you get a better deal.
If you are getting a better offer separately then you must go for that. An important part in this is interlinking of the separate domain name with the separate hosting provider. Well, it is very simple to learn how to link domain name and hosting provider by NameServer.
In my recommendation, you must try Bluehost to start your blog. Bluehost is officially recommended by wordpress and our details Bluehost tutorial will help you set up your wordpress blog website in few clicks
5. INSTALLING WORDPRESS FOR YOUR BLOG
The installation of WordPress does not take much time as most of the hosting providers support 1 click installation of wordpress from their control panel.
Our step by step installation guide for wordpress via various platforms will help you to install wordpress on your blog if at all your hosting provider do not offer 1 click installation.
(NOTE: If you want installation process by any other method please do leave a comment below. We will cover them in subsequent posts.)
6. SELECTION OF WORDPRESS THEME
Great! Now you must have successfully installed WordPress by any one of the method mentions above depending on hosting package. We highly recommend fully managed Bluehost WordPress Hosting Package.
Your WordPress admin panel and website must be showing default theme after installation. It is the time to select a perfect theme for your wordpress website and our step by step tutorial will help you to install your wordpress theme from your wordpress admin panel.
Below you can check few wordpress theme providers offering fully SEO optimized wordpress theme at a discounted price. Try to get an SEO optimized theme, as Google loves search engine optimized themes.
- Premium WordPress Themes By TESLA THEMES
- Premium WordPress Themes By MYTHEMESHOP
- Premium WordPress Themes By WPeka THEMES
- Premium WordPress Themes By STUDIO PRESS
- Premium WordPress Themes By GENESIS
- Premium WordPress Themes By THEMELSLE
- Premium WordPress Themes By TEMPLATE EXPRESS
Till now you must have done with the selection of your theme. Hope you must have found a suitable theme for your website from the above-mentioned links. If you are done with the selection then now it’s time for Installation of theme WordPress admin panel or FTP.
7. WORDPRESS PLUGINS
There are certain important plugins which should be installed and activated after the installation of WordPress. However, the installation process of plugins is almost same as themes but we will recommend you to go through the Installation of WordPress plugins via various methods.
We are offering you the list of 17 essential & free wordpress plugins to be installed immediately after installation of wordpress and setting up your theme.
- Activate the Akismet plugin(You will need the Akismet API key. This tutorial will help you get your free API key and teach you how to add it to your blog.)
- Install and activate WordPress SEO by Yoast(This is an amazing free plugin to make your blog SEO friendly, and this tutorial will guide you on how to set it up. This is quite easy to do and if you are stuck at any step, just drop me a comment and I will help you along the way.)
- Shortpixel WordPress plugin(Compresses images on your blog. Important for maintaining a fast website.)
- WP Fastest Cache plugin(This plugin is important for making your blog load faster. Make sure you don’t use any other cache plugin with this one.)
- No self-ping WordPress plugin (Don’t ping you!)
- WordPress related post plugins (Use any of these plugins to add related posts with thumbnails after each individual post. This will help your readers to discover more content on your blog.)
- SocialWarfare WordPress plugin(These will help you to get more shares on social media.)
- OptinMonster plugin(This will let you capture email leads for your autoresponder service such as Aweber, MailChimp, etc. It’s responsive and offers ready to use opt-in forms.)
- PushEngage(Free WordPress plugin to make your blog web-push ready. Highly recommended .)
Congratulation Bloggers now you ready for setting up your first blog. Now you are ready to write your first WordPress post and start making money.
Once you start writing your posts and your posts are live, now you require safeguarding your blog from spammers and hackers. To ensure your blog is completely secured you must ensure the various security tips.
8. WRITING YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
Now comes the fun part!
Writing & publishing your first blog post might seem scary but I’m going to guide you through the process. Checkout out technical SEO checklist for writing your blog post and 14 tools you should use for better blogging. Just follow the checklist and you will be able to write fully SEO wordpress blog post.
First of all login to your WordPress admin dashboard (yourdomain.com/wp-admin) and then go to Posts > Add New.
You will be presented with a screen like this-
Let me explain exactly what you are seeing here-
- Title Area: This is where you write the title of your blog post
- Add Media: This is where you can upload images/gifs/videos
- Content Area: This is where you write the main content of your post with text formatting tools above
- Publishing: This is where you control if your post is published and live in the world or you can choose to schedule it in advanced.
- Other: Choose or create a relevant category for your post or upload a featured image. If you don’t know what tags are then don’t worry about them.
Feel free to write anything you want for your first blog post as you get used to the WordPress system,
Here is an example post-
Once it is done, just click on the blue Publish button and voila!
You have just written and published your very first blog post!
Now give yourself a pat on the back and take a break because you have just started your very first blog!
9. WORDPRESS SECURITY
Once you are done with the installation the most important part is to secure your WordPress blog website from hackers and spammers. Below are the few security tips needs to be implemented on your WordPress blog to make it secure.
You can also go through the various other articles to cover all security-related issues to your wordpress blog website.
- How to change WordPress default username for security
- 7 Essential WordPress security tips
- 9 steps to secure your WordPress Blog
The main aim of blogging apart from sharing your knowledge is making money from a blog. Before you start making money you need to promote your blog and improve your search engine ranking.
10. WORDPRESS SEO: BEGINNER TO INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
- A DIY guide for WordPress Blog SEO
- SEO optimize individual posts in WordPress
- Guide to submit your blog sitemap to Google webmaster tool
- Procedure to submit your blog sitemap to Bing
We have seen the step by step wordpress blog tutorial that will tell you how to start a wordpress blog for free. We have also covered the issues related to wordpress installation, wordpress theme installation and wordpress plugin installation.
We have offered the best SEO web hosting providers to start your own wordpress blog website for free, and at last this tutorial also covers the issues related to wordpress website security and technical SEO checklist to write your fully SEO optimized wordpress blog post.
If you would like us to cover any other topic in this tutorial then do leave a comment and we will surely add that. Our reader’s suggestions are always welcome and we require your feedback to improve our blog.